Thursday, June 29, 2006

Fascination with Time

The years shall run like rabbits,
For in my arms I hold
The Flower of the Ages,
And the first love of the world.
But all the clocks in the city
Began to whirr and chime:
O let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time.
In the burrows of the Nightmare
Where Justice naked is,
Time watches from the shadow
And coughs when you would kiss.
In headaches and in worry
Vaguely life leaks away,
And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day.- by W. H. Auden

Auden wrote about time like many others have, though I think he captured the mystery that is time more succinctly than most. And here I have always been accused of being obssessed with time. So aware of the years, months, days that pass, feeling as if they are being wasted away in useless pondering which reap nothing in the end (hello blog!).

Maybe it fascinates because we all want to make this life truly ours, to make these hours count for something...That it is not about conquering time, but realizing that time marks our life...the start, the end. That it's with time human relationships are formed, and with time we drift apart. And how we move so gradually from childhood to adolescence to adulthood.

For me, I just hope to live a life such that at the end, I know I have lived fully. My life was more than just a tedious collection of hours...It was painful, fun confusing, simple, complicated, etched with heartache and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home